For Innovation Night, our team was prepared with our solar dehydrator, new and improved solar oven, some dehydrated grapes, and a presentation. At Innovation Night, our objective was to sell people our solar cookers over other people’s inventions or ideas. We did not have a lot of time to make our presentation, but we knew what we wanted to say because we had written these blogs. We won people over by giving them our dehydrated grapes to try. Probably seven people said they tasted like fruit roll ups! Even though our dehydrator was in rough shape because the duct tape had melted and it fell over, we had a great product to prove it worked. Even though we did not have a chance to try our new solar oven, we were able to sell our ideas using evidence of what past groups had experienced to back up our solar oven. Overall, we were very well prepared for this presentation because we put in a lot of time testing out our oven s and dehydrators and looking at evidence from past groups and the Internet.
We earned 36,100 dollars at innovation night.
Our APES project was to build a solar dehydrator and a solar oven and to test them in one week. Our group felt a little rushed, but we completed our projects. We had some failures during the building process, but the pleasure came from learning from our mistakes. Our dehydrator worked well, and we had some successful dehydrated raisins for everyone to try. To be honest, they tasted great! (I took a video of me and Jacqui eating homemade raisins and sent it to my mom.) When people were walking around in the wise center, I felt excited and proud to introduce our projects to them, and I felt like I was a sales staff in the market. Our solar oven didn’t succeed in baking brownies, but we’ve made changes to it, and we need to test it sometime next week. During the presentation, I didn’t feel very nervous because I’ve been saying the same lines again and again. Surprisingly, our group got the highest score of explaining! Though we did a good job presenting our projects, our dehydrator and oven are not the best ones. There are a lot to learn from other groups. Jay’s group’s dehydrator worked the most efficiently because they had two divisions which use both the energy from the direct sunlight and the heat transferred by the aluminum cans. That is a really smart design.
Solar dehydrators and solar ovens are easy to make (we found all of our materials from the trash and recycle bins except the duck tape and the mylar). I may use them in my home to reduce my carbon footprint and save a little energy. They are not only great for people in the third-world countries but are also necessary for developed countries where most energy is consumed.
Jacqui’s Reflection: Innovation Night was really fun because we got to tell people all about this cool project we did! It was also helpful for me because it laid out our whole project and it made me reflect on the processes of these past three weeks. It was tough selling our solar cookers because neither one of them was in great shape, but we were able to sell the ideas. It was also a little bit worrisome because we only had two days to make our presentation, so we only practiced it once before Innovation Night. Overall though, everything went well.
I enjoyed innovation night. Our presentations went really well! I would definitely do this project again! The only thing I would change was I would do it next week, give us a little more time.
I enjoyed teaming up with the APES class to create a dehydrator and an oven. I think that we were able to learn a lot from each other and collaborate to create an efficient dehydrator, and an oven that needed only a few improvements. I wish that the weather would have been more cooperative following our test of the oven so that we could test our changes to oven. Aside from that minor setback, I enjoyed being able to enjoy some raisins and experiencing some team teaching from Chris and Alan